The AmSpa 2019 Medical Spa State of the Industry Report reveals that medical spas are of one of the fastest growing business sectors across the USA.
The American Med Spa Association (AmSpa), used data from its 2018 survey of U.S.-based medical spas, and found:
- There are 5431 medical spas in the USA
- Average revenue per spa was US$1.5 million in 2018
- Projected revenue increase in 2019 is 10%
- Profit margin 29%
- 36% of all medical spas have no medical director
- 66% of visits come from repeat patients
- The average patient spends US$460 per visit
AmSpa defines a medical spa as a hybrid between an aesthetic medical centre and a day spa, with four core elements:
- Provision of non-invasive (non-surgical) aesthetic medical services
- Under the general supervision of a licensed physician
- Performed by trained, experienced and qualified practitioners
- Onsite supervision by a licensed healthcare professional
Each US state has different requirements on what type of licensed professional can do what type of treatment in a medical spa and medical aesthetics environment.