The newest edition of JCI’s standards for ambulatory care organisations, Joint Commission International Accreditation Standards for Ambulatory Care, 4th Edition will become effective for all ambulatory surveys beginning on or after 1 July 2019.
Changes in the 4th Edition include updated international patient safety goals, and the removal and addition of a few standards and measurable elements.
Areas of focus in some of the new ambulatory standards include the following:
- Programme for chronic disease management
- Diagnostic imaging safety programme
- Laser safety programme
- Treatment and testing of dental unit waterlines
- Haemodialysis water distribution system/equipment testing
- Health IT: Copy-and-paste and auto-complete in electronic medical records; confidentiality and security of patient information in electronic communications; and programme for response to downtime of data systems