The Global Healthcare Travel Council (GHTC) has announced several appointments to strengthen its team, and take a more influential role in the medical tourism industry. The new team at GHTC includes some of the most respected influencers in the sector.
The 2nd General Assembly of the Global Healthcare Travel Council was convened on 8 October 2015, during the 2015 International Medical Travel Exhibition and Conference (IMTEC) at the Dubai International Convention and Exhibition Centre. 28 delegates representing 22 countries participated in the assembly. A number of key appointments were made which boost the credibility of the GHTC, add significantly to the capabilities of its team and strengthen its influence in this developing market sector.
- Dr. Fawzi Al-Hammouri, FRCP, ACPE, Chairman of the Private Hospitals Association, Jordan, was elected President of GHTC. Dr Al-Hammouri has ended his association with the US based Medical Tourism Association (MTA).
- Mr. Yunus Gurkan (the outgoing Secretary General) was elected Supervisory Board President.
- Mr. Emin Çakmak (the outgoing President) was elected Founding and Honorary Chairman.
- Dr. Constantine Constantinides, M.D., Ph.D., Director, healthCare cybernetics was elected Secretary General.
- Mr. Abdallah Hindawi, CEO of the Private Hospitals Association, Jordan was elected Deputy Secretary General.
The GHTC elected the following Vice Presidents:
- Ms Jia Xiao Fang, President of China International Health & Medical Tourism Association – CIHMTA (China).
- Dr. Anitonios Vlachousis, Vice President of Elitour, the Greek Medical Tourism Council.
- Dr. Laszlo Puczko, CMC, Ph.D., xellum, The Tourism Observatory for Health, Wellness and Spa (Hungary).
- Dr. Adedayo Sobamowo, Hermes Healthcare Consulting, Nigeria.
- Ms Medvedeva Oxana, President, Russian Healthcare Travel Council (Russia).
- Dr. Layla Mohamed Al Marzouqi, M.D., Director of the Medical Tourism Program, Dubai Health Authority.
The GHTC has also appointed two new Advisory Board Members:
- Dr. Claudia Mika, CEO, Temos International GmbH, Germany
- Professor Dr. Halil Tolga Kocum, M.D., Professor of Cardiology, Turkey
The future of the Global Healthcare Travel Council
The GHTC was initiated a couple of years ago by representatives of the Turkish Healthcare Travel Council ( THTC) who felt there was a need to establish an independent and representative voice for the industry in the form of a non-profit membership association with a transparent constitution, regular elections, and an elected leadership.
It has not been easy for this organisation to develop, given the lack of funding available, but progress has been made. The latest appointments show that it is gaining credibility and has the support of some of the leading players in the industry. The coming months will show whether the GHTC has the drive and commitment to institute real change and bring much needed credibility to the sector.